Wrestling with the cares of this life~ (We’re stressed)
9 Then Jesus said, “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear.”
10 When he was alone, the Twelve and the others around him asked him about the parables. 11 He told them, “The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables 12 so that,
“‘they may be ever seeing but never perceiving,
and ever hearing but never understanding;
otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!’”
13 Then Jesus said to them, “Don’t you understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable? 14 The farmer sows the word.
Truth isn’t thrust upon us~ it if offered if we seek it. We seek through our pursuit of God’s will~ often found in solitude, silence and God’s Word.
Be Still...And Know...I am God: A Call To Defiance ( Psalm 46 )
Significance of stillness: Relax. Breathe.
- An interesting word to our hurried society
- Physiology of anxiety/stress (What its impact on decions?)
- Physiology of rest. Breathing. Silence. Reflection. (Impact on decisions?)
Ps 46 Our God is Great!
- Superior natural disaster
- Our God is always with us and a bulwark (cement impenetrable fence to protects agains attack)
- Survey His works
- Stand Down. Attention. Be still. Recognize. Identify. Align with. Stand behind Him protect love and word.
✺ How does this strike defiance? (David re: Goliath...understanding)
- In light of God’s strength & integrity...not our own.
✺ God’s resume
✔ God is our Fortress (v .1)
✔ Therefore, we won’t fear in the face of certain calamity
✔ God of Jacob (v. 7)...God of the past. God of your family. Is with you.
✔ Assess what God has done (v. 8, 9)
✔ God’s instruction to us (Be Still... (I’ve got this! Step out the way!!))
Be Still...And Know...I am God ( Note connection between relaxing & knowing)
Be ~ not stand still. Be still. Exist in stillness
Still ~ faint. forsake. weak. slacken. (These are bad words to our society)
Know~ Recognize. Understand. Live assuredly
I ~ Personal pronoun
AM ~ Self-identification as with Moses. “Unlimited God”. Unlimited Resource. Calling Card. Resume.
God ~ No one else deserves this place in your life.
✺What happens when for we are Threatened by God and God plans for us?
3 Times (at least) did we see Jesus get away from the crowds of people to breath, prayer, walk, listen....
- When he was baptized and entered his public ministry (Matt 4)
- John the Baptist, his cousin, we beheaded and he retreated (Matt 13)
- Facing his capture, trial and crucifixion he retreated to Gethsemane (Matt 23)
Read Luther’s Hymn
1. A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing; our helper he amid the flood of mortal ills prevaling. For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe; his craft and power are great, and armed with cruel hate, on earth is not his equal. 2. Did we in our own strength confide, our striving would be losing, were not the right man on our side, the man of God's own choosing. Dost ask who that may be? Christ Jesus, it is he; Lord Sabaoth, his name, from age to age the same, and he must win the battle. 3. And though this world, with devils filled, should threaten to undo us, we will not fear, for God hath willed his truth to triumph through us. The Prince of Darkness grim, we tremble not for him; his rage we can endure, for lo, his doom is sure; one little word shall fell him. 4. That word above all earthly powers, no thanks to them, abideth; the Spirit and the gifts are ours, thru him who with us sideth. Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also; the body they may kill; God's truth abideth still; his kingdom is forever.
Read Sam Cooke’s Hymn
"Jesus Be A Fence Around Me"
- New Beginning: Commit to follow Christ (Card/Prayer)
- Grow: Adult Bible Class Sunday @ 9am & Wednesdays @ 7pm. Follow fast guidelines.
- Connect: Join a LIFE GROUP & journey with great people who are doing life together.
- Thrive: 1. Acknowledge areas in your heart that fear and worry have captured and keep you from breathing and living. 2. Ask for a boldness in God that enables defiance against the enemies of your promises. (This comes from learning about God’s nature and love.) 3. Quiet your life & calm your heart through the reality that God truly sees & knows you and cares.
- Serve: We honor God in giving our lives away. Check bulletin for opportunities to serve.
- Fear makes us run when no one is chasing us ~ It also keeps us from stillness when God is calling us.