Resurrection Sunday 2011
Title: The Theater of the Cross (phrase coined by the theologian, Calvin)
18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, 19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength 20 he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, (Ephesian 1.18-20 NIV)
The tomb is empty...Christ is risen!!
How did we get here?
☛Garden/Fall/Flood/Tower/New Family/Covenant/Bondage & Exodus/The Law & Moses/New Nation/Judges/Prophets/Monarch/New Kingdom/New Tribe/Corporate Neglect/Destruction/Reformation/Promise of God’s visit...
☛Christ’s birth...Christ’s ministry...Christ’s claims & deeds...Christ’s Cross.
Cross: Displayed the Self-Humiliation of God (began with incarnation & ended with crucifixion)
- In my humble opinion, the self-humiliation continues as God lives in me!!
Cross has 4 major benefits by demonstrating 4 facets of God’s Divine Plan & Nature:
- The JUSTICE of God
- Execute justice against wrongdoers needed to happen
- Cross=place of great shame & is a deterrent to others
- The LOVE of God
- 1 John 4.10 (He would send Jesus to die in our place...bearing our punishment)
- God wanted to die for us rather than live without us!!
- Gladys: “I’d rather live in his world than to live without him in mine”
- The WISDOM of God
- The ability of God to expertly carry out justice against our sin and love for our souls.
- God’s needs for justice were met
- Our spiritual needs were met
- The POWER of God
- Saved those who believed by restoring our fellowship & increasing our position!
Why? God’s plan was ALWAYS imputation vs. amputation.
- According to Gal 2:13-15 (Titulus): free us from bankruptcy by paying out dept and destroying incriminating documents
- Cancelled our debt or bond
- Wiped the slate clean...
- By nailing to Christ’s cross (Raynor story: made me take my finances more seriously)
- Empty tomb symbolizes: Just as Christ’s crucifixion was ours too; so was his resurrection.
- Christ’s bodily resurrection/Our Spiritual Resurrection/Ultimate Raising of the Dead in Christ
There were many resurrections: Shunamites’s son, Jairsu’s daugher, Widow of Nain’s son, Lazurus, Eutychus by Paul, etc.
- They all have graves!!!
- They were brought to life; not raised to POWER!
- God’s Approval (Check out lanes)
- When I grow up..... In my next life...
- Who are you in light of Resurrection?
- Accepted by God
- Resourced with Christ
- Undefeatable by the devil
God IS glorified in:
- Christ’s cross
- Christ’s resurrection
- Our Christ-centered lives
- We have now become a part of the sphere where God rules.
#1 You’ve been raised from the dead...what graves clothes are you still wearing?
#2 God continues to be glorified as we lay down our lives to His purposes.
#3 Live Christ-centered, Heaven-resourced, Love-fueled lives!!
#4 Allow your life to reflect a Christ who experienced hell, escaped the tomb, is seated in heaven next to the Father & who lives to make intercession for us.