Sunday, March 17, 2013
Message Series: Shared Legacy~Getting What’s Coming To Us
Message Goal: Motivate believers to claim their inheritance
What is our inheritance in Jesus?
➢Salvation: Being saved
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.” (Acts 4.12)
Saved from the power of darkness (our enemy)
Saved from ourselves (evil desires and limited mindset)
Saved for God’s pleasure (relationship)
Saved for God’s purpose (bringing others in relationship with God)
Saved for God’s plan (restoring order in the universe)
➢Justification: Forgiven and made upright and in right standing with God
New International Version (NIV)
13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner. 14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
*Wealthy friend example
*College admission example
➢Deliverance: Being Rescued (Breaking the enemy’s power from influencing our influence)
Hebrews 2:13-15 New International Version (NIV)
13 And again, “I will put my trust in him.” And again he says,“Here am I, and the children God has given me.” 14 Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power(E) of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil— 15 and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death.
Liberty & Freedom: Maintaining our deliverance
Liberty: The Opportunity, Avenues, availability To Accomplish. Having Permission To Do Something.
Freedom: The Inward Fortitude, Faith, Confidence, Security To Pursue Your Avenues And Opportunities. *Self Determining. Being Able To Assert Inexplicable Spontaneity Or Self As Possessed Of So-Called Free-Will. (*Webster)
►Jesus grants us liberty. We must choose to be liberated. (Freedom). Freedom is the application of liberty!
➢We become heirs~1st rule of heirdom is sharing what’s been given to you.
- Romans 8:17 And if we are [His] children, then we are [His] heirs also: heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ [sharing His inheritance with Him]; only we must share His suffering if we are to share His glory.
- Galatians 3:29 And if you belong to Christ [are in Him Who is Abraham’s Seed], then you are Abraham’s offspring and [spiritual] heirs according to promise.
- Ephesians 2:3 Among these we as well as you once lived and conducted ourselves in the passions of our flesh [our behavior governed by our corrupt and sensual nature], obeying the impulses of the flesh and the thoughts of the mind [our cravings dictated by our senses and our dark imaginings]. We were then by nature children of [God’s] wrath and heirs of [His] indignation, like the rest of mankind.
- Pray with someone today if you haven’t surrendered your life to Jesus Christ...or if you aren’t sure if you have
- Commit to studying God’s inheritance to us (God’s word) and the life of Christ. (Wednesday nights)
- Ask God to show you how to have confidence in your inheritance.
- Learn how to share your inheritance with others.