Sunday, June 15, 2014

Prayer Isn't Magic (Superstitions Series)

Prayer isn’t Magic~ (Series: Superstitions)

And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. John 14.13-14
  • Prayer changes things...
  • Pray without ceasing...
  • Talk with the man upstairs...
  • She’s a prayer warrior...

Prayer isn’t a wish book.
Prayer isn’t magic...our magic.
Prayer isn’t about manipulation
Prayer isn’t about having our own way

➤Today I want to teach about pray NOT being a formula without being formulaic. 

God has an agenda...
Earth is where it is played out...
Heaven is where it is strategized...
The Heart of God is where it originates...
The Hearts of God’s people is where it is staged...
The Will of God is where it is furnished...
The secret places of prayer is where it is hardwired...
The lives of the extraordinarily normal followers of Jesus become the canvas where the unseen splendor of Glory is seen in vivid, glistening colors... 

➤Pray is like the Tenney locks. It is meant to lift us to a place of compatibility

➤”In The Name Of Jesus” isn’t the spiritual version of “Abracadabra


Background Dan 10

Prayer is about positioning (Praying against things that jeopardize this)

Prayer is about submitting (Being honest with our struggles & seeking aid)

Prayer is about listening (Who simple blabs when they have an audience with God)
Prayer is about co-laboring (Getting instructions about the next move)

Prayer is about releasing (Hearing/seeing what the Father says and praying that)

Prayer is about aligning (Asking for adjustments of attitudes, values, priorities, etc.)

Prayer is about disciplining ourselves spiritually (What do I need to do today?)

Power prayers that shaped history

  • “I don’t know what the action plan is, but I know who does and I’m watching.” (Jehoshaphat in 2 Chronicles 20.12)

  • “Show me how to properly lead your people into your will so that your glory is revealed and your cause...not mine is promoted.” (Solomon, the Richest, Wise man in Scripture man in 1 Kings 3)

  • “Lord, I believe, but help my unbelief!” (Ruler who requested a healing from Jesus for his son in Mark 9.24)

  • “I prefer plan B and ask you to bless that plan....however, we both know that what I should have prayer was to let you will be done....then the angel of the Lord appeared.” ~Jesus in Gethsemane in Matt 26 & Luke 22 

Ultimately
Prayer is Communing with God...

10 The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.” 1 Sam 3.10
11 Now it came to pass, as He was praying in a certain place, when He ceased, that one of His disciples said to Him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.” Luke 11.1
Next Steps: 1. Ask Jesus to teach you how to pray. 2. Get with people who do. 3. Pray and then expect. 4. Buckle up.


➤I pray that you’d pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5.17). This implies tenacity, discipline & connectedness. Pray until you get what God wants!

No comments: