Luke 5 (Bible account)
- People were crowding around & listening to the word of God
- saw two boats on the water’s edge (Peter & Simon’s boats); He climbed in the one that was Peter’s and asked his to push from shore & began to teach
- after preaching…he preached to peter
- reluctant fisher obeyed & let down the net
- they signaled other partners to help them. They began to sink
- Peter asked Jesus to go away from him. Peter was convicted They were astonished
- Jesus told Peter to not be afraid
- Their best business day was their last
- Jesus had already be presented at the temple; baptized in the Jordan; tempted in the wilderness; preached his first sermon; life threatened (again) in Judea; he now sought people with whom we could work and build. (Today He’s still doing that. Right here)
- Jesus used two preaching strategies…one pulpit..The crowd/Inner Circle
- Jesus didn’t ask permission to enter boat
- He asked Peter to chauffeur him
- After he finished preaching~ he turns to Peter and takes him “deeper” ~ Deeper = Out of our control.
- Then Jesus started “meddlin’”
- Carpenter’s don’t know nuthin’ about no fishing…it’s morning…it’s hot…the fish have gone deep to cool themselves…Ugh!!!
- Peter called Jesus “Master” at first in verse 5 & Peter calls Jesus “Lord” in verse 8 as he kneels
- Jesus demonstrates to would-be followers the Arm of God
- Why? We only know God as God reveals Himself to us
- God’s revelation always comes with power!
- Power to grasp: first with our eyes…then our minds (understanding)…then our hearts
- Jesus demonstrates here what he came to earth to do…speak to us in a manner in which we can receive.
- There men were fishermen, not priests/pastors or biblical experts.
- First: We see God, again, choosing outsiders
- 2ndly: We see God speaking to them in their language by entering their world…their sphere of influence. I’m sure NO ONE know those waters the way they did* (Scuba trip)
- 3rdly: We see God demonstrating authority over nature.
- We witness the evolution of Peter’s praise: Master—> Lord.
(Master): superintendent or overseer (Positional)
(Lord) Orig: from kuros (supremacy); supreme in authority, i.e. (as noun) controller; by implication, Master (as a respectful title):-- God, Lord, master, Sir. 1a) the possessor and disposer and controller of a thing; 2) in the state: the sovereign, prince, chief, the Roman emperor
- Jesus to Peter, whose jaw had dropped, close your mouth!
➣Provoked (taunt/incite) ~ Invoked (ask for aid to overcome) ~ Evoked (call back to consciousness..call away from something old to something new & improved)
3 things are about to occur in your life:
- Jesus is about to provoke you to go deeper and He’s about to get to meddlin’ in stuff you don’t think he understands. He’s going to “provoke” you.
- He’s going to give you such a conviction that you are on his radar that you will “invoke” His presence like never before.
- When/as you do…He is going to evoke you and call you away from scenarios, entanglements, schemes, distractions, false- imprisonments and self-sabbotage-masked-as-success
~We’re launching deeper in this season
~We’re calling out to Jesus for solutions, not band-aids!
~We’re leaving our busyness and following Jesus with our entire lives
~We’re about to find greater purpose!!!
~We’re not church members…we’re the people of God