Sermon Series: The truth about TRUTH
Sermon text: John 8:32
Sermon Title: True Light
Background Scripture: John 8:12-59
I just finished a great summer preaching series on MOMENTUM. The theme has underscored the great spiritual awakening and moving of the Holy Spirit that is happening all around us here at FOL. It is apparent to so many of us that God is up to something spectacular...and the new building project is only one part of that great something!
Maintaining this great spiritual momentum will require intensifying our passion for God and godly character. The absolute best way for believers to do so is to develop the spiritual discipline of studying scripture. This month’s series will focus on what scripture says about scripture. How can we engage in spiritual warfare if we don’t know how to use our sword? (Ephesians 6.17)
- Greek work meaning book
- Scripture: old testament written on special scroll paper
- Was never meant be a collection of poetic essays & spiritual inspiration
- John 20.30-31 Explains his gospel...establish Truth...not contain all of it. (How does this impact the way we study scripture?)
“The Bible is alive, it speaks to me, it has feet, it runs after me; it has hands, it lays hold of me.”
“You Christians look after a document containing enough dynamite to blow circulation to pieces, turn the world world upside down and bring peace to a battle-torn. But you treat it as though it is nothing more than a piece of literature.”
Truth is about getting to know God Almighty as our, loving and adoring Father who is relentlessly pursing humanity to have a personal, meaningful and eternal relationship. It is not about proving our points, saving our camps and damning others to hell.
- The bible is a recording to the Universe’s greatest Love Story
- It Chronicles God’s loving pursuit of a wayward group of people
- This is witnessed through the following lenses:
- Call of Israel to the people of God and light of the world
- Building of a nation (Kingdom)
- Jesus (Arrival of the King/Redeemer)
- Rest of the Story (Epistles show the gospel lived out in first century)
- Our lives/ministries
8:11-52 (You will know the truth)
- I am the Light.... (no more darkness)
- “You are your own witness!”
- Jesus: It is valid. Besides, the Father validates my claim...who sent me.
- “Where is your father?”
- Jesus: You don’t know me or my Father
- Jesus: I am going away...
- “Will he kill himself?”
- Jesus: You are from below. You are of this world...I am not. You will die in your sins if you don't believe in me.
- “Who are you?”
- Jesus: When you have lifted up the Son of Man....you’ll know
- Many put their faith in him. He challenged them to hold to his teachings
- “We are have NEVER been slaves!”...they don’t know truth or history
- Jesus: Anyone who sins is a slave. If you are a son, you are free.
- Jesus claims that truth will make you sons but showing you the Father’s love and pursuit of us.
- Jesus: You are trying to kill me because you have no room for my truth.
- Jesus: You are doing works of your father...if God were your Father, you would love me. He sent me.
- Jesus: Why can’t you understand what I am saying....because you are unable to hear and belong to your father the devil. You are of your father the devil...lies are his native tongue...he can’t speak truth (he can’t talk to you effectively if you now truth).
- Jesus: Because I speak the truth...you don’t believe me.
- If I am telling the truth...why can’t you hear it?
- Jesus: Who belongs to God, he is what God says.
- You cannot hear because we don’t belong to God
- Jesus: whoever obeys my words will not see death
- “You are a demon and a Samaritan”
- Jesus: I honor your Father and you dishonor me
- Jesus: Before Abraham was, I am!
- They picked up stones to kill him.
Truth is about getting to know God Almighty as our, loving and adoring Father. It is not about proving our points, saving our camps and damning others to hell.
- Jesus makes interesting connections about knowing Truth and godly lifestyles.
- Jesus challenged those who believed in him to see if they really got it.
- Jesus is Truth and the scriptures spoke of Him, but the people were blind and couldn't see the fulfillment of Truth right in front of them
- Begin asking God for a hunger for Truth, a release of the fear of studying scripture, a love for scripture and eyes to see and respond to Jesus as he is revealed to you.
- This is who Truth will change you life and the world around you. This is God’s secret weapon for transformation.
*Communion is the celebration of the story which culminates in the selfless sacrifice of Jesus Christ on our behalf.
*Jesus had a good meal with bad people (Winn Griffin quotes)