Sunday, August 26, 2012
Images: Cycle of Broken Momentum
✔Review of Momentum
- Momentum is God’s pace invading our human journey
- Momentum isn’t our own good behavior catching up with us...it’s God’s wind at our backs and God’s wind at the back of those He’s partnered us with.
- M = P*V. The equation illustrates that momentum is directly proportional to an object's mass and directly proportional to the object's velocity.
- Any object with momentum is going to be hard to stop. It is necessary to apply a force against its motion for a given period of time.
- The more momentum that an object has, the harder that it is to stop. Thus, it would require a greater amount of force or a longer amount of time or both to bring such an object to a halt.
- As the force acts upon the object for a given amount of time, the object's velocity is changed; and hence, the object's momentum is changed.
Sermon Title: Endurance: Maintained Momentum!
Key Phrase: Only Obedience Can Break the Cycle of Disobedience
Key Scripture: Judges 2:6-15: Disobedience and Defeat (Judges 17:6; Judges 21:25)
Endure means to last!
✔Judges: Book of lost momentum...in a time that God wants them to Have It.
Children of Israel would do well under good leadership, but as soon as the good leader died they would go back to their old ways.
Judges 17:6 In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as they saw fit.
- Romans 15:4
For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.
- Romans 15:5
May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had,
- 2 Corinthians 6:4
Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses;
- 1 Thessalonians 1:3
We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Revelation 14:12
This calls for patient endurance on the part of the people of God who keep his commands and remain faithful to Jesus.
- 2 Timothy 2:12
if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us;
- Hebrews 12:7
Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father?
Next Steps Challenges:
- Commit yourself to understanding scripture by studying it
- Commit yourself to living by bible principles
- In doing so, you are made spiritual fit which is necessary for maintaining stamina for endurance. (God never pulls the plug on His own momentum!)