Our Savior came thru a lineage of shady characters so that He would be qualified to save shady characters! (Matt 1)
➣God proves that God is Down!
✩Other deities didn’t claim to have: 1. created the worlds; 2 become human; 3. become belittled; 4. become judged & sacrificed; 5. and have overcome all of this because of the Father’s pleasure.
✩Other deities didn’t openly demonstrate their checkered pedigree
The Components of a Savior
Definition: One who saves or rescues others from danger, destruction, harm, failure
*Ernie Rayner Story (1. His vulnerability brought me stability 2. Implications of Stability. 3. He trusted that I still needed advice...but never bailing our again!!)
- Abilities: 1. Subdue enemies and 2. Rescue victims (remove from danger) & 3. Place them in a safe nurturing environment where they won’t slip back into danger. [This removal from danger and placement in a “safe-house” where adjustments are made to eliminate the threat of future abductions...is called deliverance!]
Theological Qualities and Framework
➣A savior’s work is hands on. Not remote. He became one of us. (Matt 1)
➣A savior must have super powers in order to *defeat our enemy
- *Jesus: Defeated the enemy by loving us, taking on our brokenness and overcoming it; offering God a offering of peace on our behalf...which was accepted by the Father at the resurrection of Christ. (Approval Light @ register)
- The enemy wasn’t appeased. He was disgusted!
- Jesus removed us from the unsafe place of sin (Salvation: Where sin is forgotten)
- Jesus took us to a safe-place where we’d be trained to never slip into the place of Danger again. [Care/Instruction of Holy Spirit & Christian community]
They forgat God their saviour, which had done great things in Egypt;
And it shall be for a sign and for a witness unto the Lord of hosts in the land of Egypt: for they shall cry unto the Lord because of the oppressors, and he shall send them a saviour, and a great one, and he shall deliver them.
I, even I, am the Lord; and beside me there is no saviour.
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.
For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.
2 Timothy 1:9-11New International Version (NIV)
9 He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, 10 but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. 11 And of this gospel I was appointed(H) a herald and an apostle and a teacher.