Legacy: A gift by will, especially of money or other personal property: A bequest. 2) Something transmitted by or received from an ancestor or predecessor or from the past
A legacy that is shared is even sweeter because it keeps us accountable:
- We’re reminded that it is not from/for us.
- We’re chosen for a purpose
- God’s gifts are given for a purpose
Israel’s great sin was they didn’t hear (hearken) God’s heart as he explained their heritage to them. They created a parallel reality that allowed them to justify their blessings.
- (It is easier to believe that undeserving creatures deserve God’s blessings than it is to believe that a perfect God would chose to leave us a legacy!”)
- We are so duped by the enemy that we believe that God calls fun sin. Actually, the only things that are true sins are the things which destroy our shared legacy with God.
- The magical message of Advent is as humbling as it is astounding!
- God didn’t merely come to Earth to die for us...
- God didn’t merely come to Earth so we live for Him
- God didn’t merely come to Earth so that we could live in Heaven together
- God came to Earth in order to share Himself with us so that we’d share ourselves with Him and with others
God came to Earth to live out Heaven’s reality in a realm that once ousted Him.
By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter, 25 choosing rather to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. 26 He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward. Hebrews 11:24-26 (ESV)
Sermon Title: Greater Wealth
Sermon Series: Shared Legacy
Sunday, December 23, 2012
Sermon Aim: Help redefine wealth and rethink a better strategy for acquiring it.
- Love your neighbor as yourself
- Love your wives as your own bodies
- Love your enemies
- We see acts of kindness today. We rarely see the Mo. Theresa acts:
- The individuals who deny they rights to access, privilege, prestige so that other may indulge in the same.
- Lady Di
- We are the world; Comic Relief; Farm Aid, etc. (they help but...)
- Line from Soul Man (C. Thomas Howell)
- What did Moses see, hear or feel that caused him to turn his back on it all?
- What is all?
- What did Jesus see?
- What is joy? How did it obscure...or better yet...downplay the ridicule of the cross?
- How did Moses calculate wealth?
- Rethink legacy for your life. Ask God for a revelation of it. (Challenge)
- What is it that God is offering you that is too large to receive on your own? What is so grandiose that God is sending people to you to help you accept it? (Question)
- Begin to undo the lies of our sworn enemy that say: “I’ve got this on my own!” (Next Steps)